Palliative Care & Hospice Advanced Certification
Next Application Deadline – December 15, 2023 (for Winter 2024 interviews)
The palliative care and hospice literature continues to demonstrate positive outcomes for patients and families who receive specialized care, and for this reason the various disciplines providing palliative care and hospice care have focused on the education, training, and certification of professionals providing this advanced level of care.
BCCI and the National Association of Catholic Chaplains (NACC) are delighted to recognize the expertise, specialized skills, advanced education, and unique experience of professional palliative care/hospice chaplains with an advanced certification beyond the Board Certified Chaplain (BCC) designation. Board Certified Chaplains who successfully complete the advanced certification process are designated as BCC-PCHAC (Board Certified Chaplain – Palliative Care & Hospice Advanced Certification), signifying that they have mastered the spiritual care competencies necessary for palliative care/hospice, including end-of-life care and care of those with life-limiting conditions.
Overarching Characteristics are foundational for advanced chaplaincy care which will be demonstrated through the competencies.
- Understanding of and practice in all eight domains of the National Consensus Project on Palliative Care
- Exemplifies advanced transdisciplinary integrated practice
- Reflects educated compassion- integrating the total pain, including medical, psycho-social, spiritual, and emotional compassionate response
- Demonstrates the ability to be an emotional broker while holding various emotions and facilitating communication
- Offers ethical mediation, including but not limited to understanding of non-beneficial medical care
- Provides moral distress diffusion for staff, care recipients, and families
Board Certified Chaplains interested in the advanced BCC-PCHAC certification will find all requirements, guidelines, and forms by clicking the tabs in the right-hand menu.
The BCCI/NACC joint committee are developing workshops to instruct applicants on content, which was previously shared in the Action/Reflection workshop. Please check back for updates.
All applicants will apply via a written application and be certified via interview over video conference.
- Palliative Care & Hospice Advanced Certification
- Military Specialty Certification
- Advanced Certification Fees